Message-id management revisited

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 02:04:57 PDT 2008

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Mark Taylor wrote:

>>>  4. hub provides hub-msg-id -> sender-msg-id translation method
>>>      - OK but slightly messy
>>
>>       Should there be a lack of unanimous epiphany regarding the above
>> argument, this would be my second choice.  This simply exposes a
>> functionality
>> the Hub must already implement in order to handle a reply, and it's a
>> really
>> small number of apps that would need this as a way to get the sender-id to
>> send a progress message.  The concern then is that it opens to door to
>> requiring similar methods to get other useful data from the id string
>> as mentioned
>> above.
>
> OK then, if nobody else expresses an opinion (Al your voice is noted
> but currently outvoted) let's go with this.

on further thoughts, another option would be to provide this
hub-msg-id -> sender-msg-id translation facility via an administrative
MType which the hub MUST or SHOULD support.  This would avoid
introducing clutter into the API itself, and provide a sensible
extensibility route for hubs which want to provide other useful
data along similar lines.  I don't have strong feelings either way.