Administrative MTypes

John Taylor jontayler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 07:08:49 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 1:53 AM, Mike Fitzpatrick <fitz at noao.edu> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
>        The 'hub.event.stopping' was derived from the PLASTIC message
> of a similar name but I really think it could be just 'hub.event.shutdown'
> to be more explicit.  This would avoid confusion with the
> app.{starting,stopping} but I also agree that at least those two are
> application specific things that belong in the second doc.

I care little about the names used for the messages, but just for historical
background we used the present continuous tense since this gets fired off
when the hub is in the process of shutting down.

>        That said, I'd still like to have an 'app' class of messages
> since not every administrative message will be coming from the hub.
> My sense is that app.echo and app.isAlive really mean the same thing
> and could be just 'app.ping' or somesuch (after all, if an app isn't
> alive it would never respond, but then neither would any other message).

I'd agree with that.  I put the echo message in just for test purposes as
something I could send and not cause any side effects.  ping does the same
job.

John

--
Google Pittsburgh is hiring!