SAMPY undocumented features

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jul 7 02:04:18 PDT 2008

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, Luigi Paioro wrote:

>> Hi Luigi,
>> Congratulations on creating SAMPY - I'm sure it will be very useful to the
>> community.
>
> Hi John, thanks.
>
> I hope it will be useful. Anyway it has been done mainly for prototyping
> MIMA. Python is a good language for prototyping, but when one needs something
> with good performances, probably what s/he really needs is something written
> in Java (Mark's implementation for instance) or in a compiled language like
> C/C++. As a matter of fact, I think that the client toolkit is potentially
> more useful to the community.

It will be interesting to see, but my guess is that the hub code itself
will not be a CPU bottleneck, so that in principle one written in any
language would effectively do equally well.  Certainly our PLASTIC
experience has not included extremely high message throughput, so
we haven't explored this kind of area.