String character range

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 07:18:11 PDT 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Doug Tody wrote:

> Why not just enclose character data in CDATA sections when they pass
> through XML?  This is the mechanism XML provides for pass through
> of arbitrary data (also encoding individual chars such as <).

That's what I thought at first, but the characters with Unicode code
points 0x01-0x08, 0x0B, 0x0C, 0x0E-0x1F are not permitted *at all*
in an XML document.  CDATA sections provide for escaping characters
such as '<' and '&' which might be interpreted as XML markup, but
that is not the problem here.  See productions [18] - [21] in the
XML spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/ sec 2.7).