SAMP draft document introduction

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 07:10:26 PDT 2008

Mark et al,

Mark Taylor wrote:
> ...over the last few weeks, the SAMP authors have put together a
> draft of the standard document for the proposed Simple Applications
> Messaging Protocol...We would ask readers of this list, and
> particularly those who anticipate using, or wanting to use, the
> resulting standard, to read the document and provide comments on it...

We just had an internet outage which conveniently let me sit down and
actually read the spec cover to cover. On the whole I'm pretty happy
with the specification...

The immediate problem I have with the document is that  I'm a little
unsure how the mtype mapping from what is outlined in section 5 to
XML-RPC method names works in practice? This isn't, at least to me,
entirely clear and possibly some more example documents might be in
order. Sorry, it might just be post-lunch time dimness on my part.

Based on the specification I'll try and put together a demonstration
Perl SAMP hub (and a couple of simple clients) in time for the May
meeting. It'll be good to have a few prototypes kicking around.

Cheers,
Al.