ISSUE: getHubID/getSelfID

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 04:05:53 PDT 2008

Mark Taylor wrote:
> However there are two special client-ids which the registered
> client might
> want to know:
>
>    - its own client ID
>    - the ID of the hub (in its capacity as a registered application,
>      which is how it would send housekeeping messages like
>      "the hub is about to shut down")
>
> It's not obvious why a client would need to know these (e.g. you'd
> only need to know your own client-id if you needed to send a
> message to yourself) - but people may come up with reasons
> (diagnostics and
> testing is one possibility).

I think I've done something weird and wonderful at one point when
doing status monitoring of PLASTIC that involved having to know 'my
own' ID. I'l try and dig it out of the eSTAR code and see what I was
doing.

> Currently the hub ID is available from the hub getHubID() method.
> Is this method necessary?  There has been the suggestion to remove it
> and dictate that the hub public ID must have a fixed well-knowne value
> such as "0".

Seems reasonable...

> Currently there is no easy way for a client to find its own ID.
> Should there be a getSelfID() method?  Or should this value be
> returned by the register method (note the Standard Profile register()
> method currently returns a private key specific to the application,
> but this is not in general the same as the public id).

Isn't it currently returned by the register method under PLASTIC? I
think this is the case, if so, I'd like that to continue to be the
case. If not, seems sensible surely?

Al.